Oct 30th, 2020
Party Favorz is back with the annual HW20 dance club edition featuring all treats and no tricks.
This set is jam-packed with EDM, House Music, Disco House, Bootlegs and Mashups with just enough spooky fun elements to fulfill its title.
The Spofitication of dance music
I have to say that it's becoming more difficult to compile these commercial dance sets since the shut down of venues across the nation. Typically I rely on a variety of factors to create these sets. First, I look at Billboard's Dance Club charts to see what other DJs across the country are laying down, I look at Beatport and Traxsource charts to see where underground and disco tracks are crossing over, I peruse the Billboard Top 100 for those commercial hits that weren't necessarily created for the dancefloor but some enterprising up and coming DJ has generated a masterful bootleg of, I look at YouTube music trends and of course I look at the DJ services internal charts to see what are the hottest tracks everyone is jumping on before they go wide scale.
Two other elements are my internal gut feeling about a song, which comprise about a 1/3 of all tracks included in a set and the Billboard Electronic Dance Music chart, which I have a love/hate relationship with. Much like the Billboard Top 100, this chart's rankings are heavily weighted towards streaming service plays form Spotify and Apple Music. The rest is based on sales and radio play both of which carry less weight. This has resulted in two things:
1) Many artists just release single after single generating buzz, play and revenue, while forgoing the traditional album release. In fact, boutique labels have developed a whole business model around this and many of these stellar tracks never make it into the DJ pool nor Beatport.
2) Bigger artists still put out albums because there's still money in sales both physical and non-physical. At the same time, they game the system by dropping everything at once flooding these charts with mediocre songs and a couple of stellar ones that may or may not even reach the top of those charts but still generates significant amounts of revenue for them. We've seen it with Drake and Chainsmokers. In particular, Chainsmokers are still a big draw but by dumping everything all at once, they end up with 12 songs on the Electronic Dance Music chart even though none are massive hits. It dilutes the chart and drowns stellar songs by new artists that struggle to break through.
The other end of this is that the songs on this chart rarely get remixes unless someone creates a bootleg. In fact, many aren't really dance songs at all so the entire chart is a bit of a mystery to me. After all, everything today is quantifiably Electronic Dance Music. The two biggest breakthroughs of 2020 on the chart that had crossover success are Imanbek's remix of Saint Jhn's "Roses" and Surfa Mesa's "ily (i love you baby)" — the latter generating stellar Future House remixes, which helped propel the song further. But, these are the exception and not the rule.
As such, most of these songs (and even the danceable ones) are more like radio edits and never get remixes. They're geared toward the Spotification of dance music for radio playback.
Dance club music is on lockdown
Because labels are commissioning fewer and fewer remixes as a result of the pandemic and the reason the Dance Club chart is shut down (because it relies on DJ feedback based on live plays) it makes sense for them to focus on where they're going to get the biggest return on their investment. A good example of this is Ariana Grande's "Position." Her new single is okay and is likely a loss lead for her new album being released today. That's never stopped her label from investing in a boatload of remixes for her releases but as of yet — there aren't any except for a few poorly executed bootlegs.
On the opposite end, Ava Max's label released a whole new set of remixes for the stellar "Kings & Queens," which after I don't how many months finally crawled up to the Top 20 of Billboard's charts. Apparently, they believe in it as much as Party Favorz does because I think it's a massive disservice that it was originally overlooked on streaming platforms, radio and dance.
That being said, don't criticize me for not enough mixing here because I can only work with what I've got. I have the software to start creating my own mashups but just never took the time to learn how to do it though I have done a few in the past. What I may end up doing is start pulling from all the genres on this site to make up the bulk of these sets until such time things return to normal instead of focusing so much on really good but not so danceable radio remixes.
The return of Fleetwood Mac to the top of the charts
One other thing I wanted to give praise to is the return of Fleetwood Mac back to the top of the Top 100 with their 1977 #1 "Dreams" sung by one of our favorite divas Stevie Nicks. As y'all know, the former #1 chart-topping song was given new life after being featured in a viral Tik Tok video sparking interest in the group. Deep Dish had already convinced Stevie to re-sing the vocals for their version of the track 10 years ago and it looks like PeteDowns and Kaskade got into the game with their own releases but those lacked inspiration (no offense guys). That jarred my memory of a bootleg remix by Disco Incorporated a few years back, which I used to close down this set. I think y'all will agree that not only does their version honor the original but gives it a nice summer breezy house vibe that we could all use right now.
It's your right — use it...VOTE!
As everyone know the elections are on Tuesday, November 2nd. If you haven't voted yet — today's your last chance in most states. if you're sitting on your ballot DO NOT mail it. Look up the nearest drop off location in your area by Googling for drop off ballots in your county and state.
Have a safe and happy Halloween. Until the next time...ENJOY!
Genre: House, Future House, Deep House, NuDisco
Total Time: 03:19:56
1. Sonny Fodera & Ella Eyre - Wired (Original Mix)
2. Drake - Laugh Now, Cry Later (Kue's 120 Bump)
3. Marc Stout x Howard Jones - Things Can Only Get Better (Original Mix)
4. Rudeejay, Da Brozz & Chico Rose feat. Robin S. - Show Me Love (Original Mix)
5. Jason Derulo - Take You Dancing (R3HAB Remix)
6. Miley Cyrus - Midnight Sky (Dark Intensity Remix)
7. Michael Jackson - Thriller (Steve Aoki Midnight Hour Extended Remix)
8. Jack Harlow - What's Poppin' (Phon Remix)
9. Imanbek & Afrojack feat. Gia Koka - Hey Baby (Original Mix)
10. Unto Uno - Alertia (Original Mix)
11. DJ ThreeJay - Betta Be Good (Jackin House Mix)
12. Duck Sauce, A-Trak & Armand Van Helden - Mesmerize (Original Mix)
13. Tchami - Move Your Body (Audio K9 Rock Right Now Edit)
14. Regard & RAYE - Secrets (Tom Field Remix)
15. Internet Money, Gunna, Don Toliver, NAV - Lemonade (Dubdogz & Watzgood Remix)
16. ARTY & Audien with Ellee Duke - Craving (Extended Mix)
17. David Guetta x MORTEN - Kill Me Slow (Vocal Rework)
18. Marshmello & Demi Lovato - OK Not To Be OK (Finlay C Remix)
19. Jax Jones & AuRa - I Miss U (Extended Mix)
20. Sam Smith - Diamonds (Joel Corry Extended Remix)
21. James Hype feat. Harlee - Afraid (Original Mix)
22. Bingo Players & Disco Fries feat. Viiq - Forever Love (Original Mix)
23. Ariana Grande & Jack Wins feat. Francci Richard - Into You (Andrew Marks Killed Me With Love Edit)
24. Ray Parker Jr. - Ghostbusters (Hell & Keller Bootleg Mix)
25. Timmy Trumpet x Vengaboys - Up & Down (Original Mix)
26. Cardi B & Megan Thee Stallion - WAP (Boston Switch Remix)
27. Alok - Alive (It Feels Like)
28. BTS - Dynamite (PeteDown Club Mix)
29. AC/DC - Highway To Hell (Marvin Vogel Remix)
30. Icona Pop & Sofi Tukker - Spa (Original Mix)
31. Torren Foot feat. Tinie & L Devine - More Life (Original Mix)
32. Tiesto - The Business (Original Mix)
33. Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive (ForteFlava Cups Edit)
34. Ava Max - Kings & Queens (Cosmic Dawn Remix)
35. Justin Bieber - Holy (Jay Bombay & Antoine Simar Remix)
36. Gabby Barrett feat. Charlie Puth - I Hope (Dark Intensity Remix)
37. Joel Corry vs. Topic feat. A7S - Breaking Me (DJ Beatzilla 'Sorry' Blend)
38. VAVO feat. Zhiko - Day N' Night (Original Mix)
39. Lewis Capaldi - Before You Go (Dark Intensity Remix)
40. Marshmello vs. Salasnich - Never Alone (Salasnich Mashup)
41. Nathan Dawe feat. KSI - Lighter (Original Mix)
42. Love Legend & Alex Gaudino - Open Your Eyes (Original Mix)
43. Harry Styles vs. Firebeatz - Watermelon Sugar (DJ Beatzilla 'Bad Habit' Edit)
44. Loud Luxury x CID - Nights Like This (PBH & Jack Extended Remix)
45. Solardo & Paul Woolford feat. Pamela Fernandez - Tear It Up (Oliver Heldens Extended Mix)
46. Redfield - Vibrating (Original Mix)
47. Black V Neck - Them Girls (J Worra Extended Remix)
48. Clean Bandit & Mabel feat. 24kGoldn - Tick Tock (Joel Corry Remix)
49. David Guetta & Sia - Let's Love (Charlie Lane Remix)
50. Disciples - I Got You (Extended Mix)
51. Matt Nash - You're Not Alone (Original Mix)
52. DubVision - Like This (Original Mix)
53. Jennifer Lopez - Let's Get Loud (DJ Alex Ezhov Remix)
54. Fleetwood Mac - Dreams (Disco Incorporated Good Vibes Freedom Mix)