We have come to the end of Madonna's birthday month celebration and this last offering is a doozy! So much so, that I had thrown everything including the kitchen sink into this set and decided it was a bit much. Never mind that the set still clocks in at over 5 hours.
The biggest issue was there weren't many great bootlegs for Give Me All Your Luvin' and the one I was using hemmed really close to the Sultan & Shepard mix, which was high octane. In order to make that work, I had to add in the fabulous DJ Barry Harris remixes of Vogue and Deeper and Deeper, which are equally high-octane. They also provided me the ability to mix in the Dirty Disco remix of La Isla Bonita, which had a very tribal element to it that didn't work elsewhere. Everything worked but it all felt out of place in the overall set. I took everything out and moved a couple of tracks around, added the Wayne G remix of Celebration, which allowed me to re-add La Isla Bonita, and presto...MAGIC! For me, it's all about flow and making everything work together in cohesion even when you're changing gears within the mix.
I spent well over 2 weeks pouring through hundreds of bootlegs where 90% are less than stellar with the remaining 10% being good to fantastic. I have no issue with songs that only modernize the original but really like it when someone takes the song and flips it to something entirely different while still retaining the core essence of the original. A good example of this is the Parralox remix of Borderline. The remix still keeps it in the 80s era but moves it away from the pop sound of the original into a New Wave vibe that just works. Another is the Luxar remix of Justify My Love, which takes the dark sleazy Trip Hop version and turns it into something closer to what Nine Inch Nails would have done with the song dropping it into the middle of an S&M club. The grinding synth just gives it that extra sleaze the original is missing. There are many other examples included here.
I realize favoriting versions over others is subjective so it's entirely possible I may have missed your favorite version of a track. But, there is so much stuff y'all are already familiar with from past releases and a bevy of brand new remixes that recently came out and took over past favorites — I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at just how good the final product came out.
I also want to mention that there are some notable mashups like the DJ Bill Bennett Erotica vs. Cafe Del Mar, which still holds up to this day. Though, I slowed the track down to 122 BPM from 126 BPM, which made more sense. Perhaps the first mashup, which is the most notorious of them all was the White Label Stardust vs. Madonna on Music Sounds Better On Holiday (other titles were listed as Holiday Sounds Better With You), which was released in 1998. At the time, there were several mashups with the French House classic including by Lisa Stansfield and Bette Midler but by far, the Madonna version was the most famous and likely the most famous mashup of all time. The quality was always shit from these vinyl rips and it's been added as a bonus track at the end of this set because the style and quality don't allow it to fit anywhere within this mix. I've dramatically cleaned it up and you can thank me later for that but even then, there's only so much you can do.
It's not clear if this song ever had Madonna's or Warner Brothers' approval but she did use that version to close her sets on the Re-Invention Tour a few years later. I know, I was there.
For those of you not happy that Party Favorz has temporarily diverted all of our attention to Madonna this month — I apologize. I've already started collecting tracks for the next Dance Club, Peak Hour, Disco House, and Chill Out sets with the annual Fall Edition in the pipeline as well. Thank you for your patience and I assure you a tone of new music is on its way. This entire series has sucked the life out of me and I'll need a week to recuperate but after that — we'll have everything back on track.
I'll be limiting special editions between now and the end of the year with maybe two Diva Hall of Fame entries but nothing as expansive as this. Anything I've promised publicly or privately is up in the air. If I have time, I might get around to it, otherwise, it will have to be put on the back burner.
I just want everyone to know that put everything I had into these four sets and I hope it shows. It's likely some of the best work I've ever done. When you don't set artificial timelines to put something out — the quality of the final product can exceed expectations and then some.
I'll be back soon enough with the next Dance Club set. Until then...ENJOY!
Album: The Ultimate Bootleg Collection Vol. I & II Genre: Electro House, House, Future House, EDM, Progressive Year: 2022 Total Time: 05:22:09